Thursday, May 3, 2007

Thursday morning


Okay, this continues to be quite the adventure (and we haven't even met the kids yet). Over the past 24 hours the conversations have been about as varied as they can get. Karen's initial - and totally understandable - reaction to landing in Addis at 10 at night with no luggage and very little sleep. Talking with her after her very brief 4 1/2 hours of sleep she was back to her funny "I'll be damned if I'm not going to Lalibela" self. So off she went - no luggage, no change of clothes, and not much else but Karen's determined unstoppable way of being. I haven't heard from her since then but I'm sure visiting the ancient Coptic churches (buildings carved down into solid rock over a thousand years ago) was just what extraordinary. I have to admit if I let myself think about her being there by herself without her stuff it sometimes feels like watching a high-wire act - thrilling yet scary all at the same time. So instead of worrying I've been practicing letting go and trusting that all is and will be well. Why - because it will!

While all that's going on my daughter Maggie, my sister in-law Suesie and my excitement levels have been escalating by the hour. The dining room table is covered with kids clothes, kid's hygiene stuff, donations for the orphanage, MORE DOCUMENTS, medicine for every possible problem, coloring books, crayons, a couple stuffed animals, more documents, passport, juice boxes, varying sizes of kids shoes (man, that stuff is cute) because we don't know their shoes sizes, iPod, Dvds, disposable diapers, etc. etc. Maggie and Sue are coming to Chicago tonight. Hopefully, they'll have time to do some blogging before we leave tomorrow afternoon.

In spite of all this we still keep imagining Max and Mari's life here and the first time they will meet each of you, their first night in their new home, their first summer in Chicago, , learning English, playing at the lake, meeting their new grandparents, spending time at their aunties' farm near Duluth with the horses and chickens, getting to know there older sister, teaching us how to be good parents, trying new food, hugs, kisses, smiles, games, all the good and all the challenges to come. Life is good!

And now it's time to get back to the list. Get cash, start packing, set the thermostat, clean out the fridge, send out Mother's Day cards (don't open till the 13th), try to connect with Karen somewhere in Ethiopia, call a couple for friends and family, etc, etc.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Donations to the orphanage? Is it too late to donate? Probably. Bummer.

Thanks for the update. Safe travels to Group II.

Cousin Rachel said...

Everything is going to work out beautifully!

Sally Sunshine said...

Auntie Sally is just about ready to burst! I feel like a stalker! I have been to the website 40 times and have been very distracted (staring at the twins picture above my desk)!! And I love that Lamby is having an adventure in addition to traveling to a new part of the world! :o) Thank you for doing this Pedro! I anxiously await each word and picture! Give Mags a kiss for me and tell her that, while in Africa, if she needs to do a little "Going In", I understand they have some FANTASTIC jewelry!! :o) Te Amo Mucho Mucho!! Auntie Sally